Make sure everyone in the household is prepared to care for your new pet. It will be your obligation to care for this pet for years to come. Have things ready BEFORE you bring your cat or kitten home! You will need such items as:
- Dry food in which the first ingredient listed is meat, preferably chicken, not a meat by-product or corn. We recommend Iams, Purina One, Maxximum Nutrition, or any super premium brand. Just check the label–first ingredient is 100% meat.
- Canned food–We use a lot of Friskies and Fancy Feast and Royal Canin.
- Bowls–We suggest bowls that are made out of ceramic, glass, or stainless steel (not plastic). You will need at least three: one for water, one for dry food, and one for wet food.
- Litter box–Rubbermaid tote boxes make great litter boxes.
- Litter–We use scoopable only. It’s the best way to keep a clean litter box. FFRC highly recommends Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Litter (not lightweight) or Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal. NO perfumed/fragrant litter!!
- Grooming tools–A brush, a comb, and a pet nail clipper.
- Pet carrier–To take your new kitten or cat home and for veterinarian trips. The cats must travel to their new home in a carrier for their safety. It’s also handy for veterinary visits.
- Toys–this will help keep your new pet entertained!